Simplicity 1796





I'm having issues with making dresses from patterns. At the moment all my usual patterns are unsuitable due to breast feeding and the ability of freeing the boobs at any given moment.
I have been making many dresses since the birth of  boy but they are piling up in my wardrobe and not being worn. Fresh dresses should be worn!

The pictures show a slightly scrunched dress due to it being worn and not re-ironed. My six year old photographer failed to produce a photo that I found acceptable to share.

I started looking for a pattern that I could make from a non-stretchy material that I could feed in. I found this pattern, Simplicity 1796, but failed to notice that the cross over was only on the bodice and not all the way down the skirt. Poo. It still works for feeding but its still a bit hard. I am going to alter the pattern for the split to continue down very soon.

I love the sleeves and the details. I made this first dress as a tester. I used some simple fabric from my stash and a small patterned piece for a feature. I have already started on the second dress in this pattern from some beautiful new fabric from spotlight. I'll show you soon.

I do love this pattern becasue I did not have to add extra for my large bust (huuuuge knockers) like I sometimes do for other pattern. I often find that paper patterns really don't allow for the well endowed. Do you find that? I mean - are we still in the waif era of the 90's? Common peoples! Women have boooobs!

I cant wait to show you the next version. It is divine!

Comments

Nic said…
My bust (which currently belongs to a ten week old) is my frustration when sewing dresses and tops too. I also have a small back (on another note, maternity bras in my size come in white or occasionally beige. I long for black let alone an actual colour or pattern!) so usually have to adjust the shoulders I what I sew. Great pattern. Looking forward to seeing the next version
Melissa said…
I can't wait to see it as well. I have always wanted to make my own dresses. I have a shape that just doesn't fit most dresses. Maybe you will inspire me :)