Draw Through Sixteen


So draw through December 2015 is over but I would love to invite you to join in with #drawthroughsixteen. It is not too late to start. I am playing catch up as well.

It's as simple as one drawing a week through the year of 2016. Use the prompts to inspire you. Add your work to you favorite social media to keep you accountable or to simply share in the fun. If you don't want to do the social/public thing that's OK too. 

I can't tell you how much I need the #drawthroughdecember  (see the below post). I totally bounced on the prompts to inspire me, to draw without thinking and to get back into the traditional arts that I had been neglecting for years. It's been a bit like writers block for me - wanting to create but not knowing where to start.

With draw through sixteen I want to work on my journal skills but I also want to work on my illustration and typography work. I'll show you my start of Draw Through Sixteen

Week 1: Wild
This piece I first used a background scraping of gold and gesso to create some texture. I had been saving this circle from a dictionary illustration. I used it as my inspiration for the final drawing. I used pencil, paint and watercolour to finish it off.

I would have liked to add more layers to the final picture but I ran out of time and then moved on.
Week 2: Can you see me.

Completed in my square moleskine I first worked up a grid to center the typography. I worked on getting the letters flowing before I added the plant background. I wanted to lay the words amongst the foliage so I bought one of the leaves in front of the word so it was hiding (Can you see me?).

The foliage was then weaved in behind and around the wording. I used an old illustration for inspiration but made the design to fit in around the design and balance the composition. Lastly I used a fine liner before I rubbed out the pencil marks. I filled in the design with sepia water colour and using the botanical idea of no background shading, just shading on the plant itself.

I would love for someone to want this design reworked to fit their new logo...just sayin.

Comments