Great Tasmanian Maker - Obie Art


It is funny entering another persons private work space. It is like looking through their underwear draw or finding someones personal diary and having a sneak peak. I guess it's like seeing behind the scenes of someone creative process, it feels a bit naughty and slightly odd.

The other week when I was visiting my friends for a BBQ I snuck in and photographed Obie the artists studio. The little shed is located at the back of his garden. It smelt of dust and paint fumes. It was dirty and eclectic. It is a gritty boys space just as you would expect from a Tasmanian artist. It was just as it should be.

Looking at Obie's art work I wonder if people, who would know that the whimsical artist, would think he worked in a space like this. I wonder if people think about the space that their favorite art works are made in. I wonder if the space effects the art work or the art work effects the space.

Viewing the studio and analysing influences brings up more questions than answers.

I am forever grateful that I was fortunate to meet such beautiful people in our prenatal class and have been fortunate enough that we have stayed firm friends. I knew of Obie the artist prior to our official meeting as he is very well known in the Tasmanian art community. I knew him as the artist that always wore the beret with the badges on it and painted whimsical and child like art. His art is represented in Hobart galleries and he has earned his reputation of an established Tasmanian artist (perhaps with the help and support of his fab partner Lynne).  Obie has been an artist in residence in our Burnie Makers Workshop for years and in return he is cherished by the locals.

Thanks Obie for letting me poke about behind the scenes of your making, it was fun.  I am giving Obie has the award for my first Great Tasmanian Maker.



You can view his web page here for more info.

Comments